Friday, October 9, 2015

A Small Thing

So, our community was tragically hit with a major flood and it devastated a lot of homes and people. I have really been struggling with how to help, yet with the girls it is hard to figure out a way to volunteer.  So, I talked with some of my friends and we decided to make snack and drink bags for some of the volunteers in our area and we took our kids down there to distribute them in a nearby neighborhood.  I really have struggled with doing something "big" and this morning I read a devotional about how there isn't really any "big" thing, you just have to be faithful in the things God has called you to do.  This really hit me hard as we were preparing the bags for the volunteers, sweet Connor looked at me and said, "Mrs. Karrie we get to be missionaries, missionaries SERVE others". This was so touching to me and I was so thankful to have friends who teach their kids to serve and tell others about God side by side.  I am so humbled that my friends have such servant's hearts and brave taking 11 kids under 7 to a neighborhood where people are pulling out insulation and all kinds of stuff to share God's love.  So here are the pictures of our small ministry:

Decorating the bags to give


Working hard

Apparently Connor was hiding

Then these 3 decided they had enough and went off to play!


We attached these verses to the bags to give also:

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9

Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people” Ephesians 6:7

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:40

“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”  Galatians 6:2

“As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” 1 Peter 4:10

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16


Our sweet group of volunteers!


Silly faces!


Packing up the bags

It was slightly chaotic, but we only busted one can of soda! 

One bag ready!

Ready to go deliver!




People were very gracious and didn't want to take our snacks, so instead we began saying will you please take this.  That way they were actually "helping" our kids.

Ready to deliver more!

This group was my favorite, it was either a youth group or sports team, but these teenage boys GLADLY took our bags and sent more out to make sure they all got one.


Double strollers can EASILY fit 4 children!


It was a little exhausting.

Then we got to go back and enjoy lunch!






All the toys and these 2 decide to play in the tubs.


I post all of this not to brag or say what we did, because what we did was nothing compared to what others have done and sacrificed.  But, to document how these sweet children made a difference and were able to support our community.  I have a feeling one day when they are older people will reflect on this time (the way I remember Hugo) and I want them to know that they did make a difference and graciously gave when given the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment